Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church – St. Peter’s Church in Kõpu

Kõpu was first mentioned in 1481 and the first wooden church was built in 1674.
The current stone church was built in 1821–1825 and the first organ was brought to the church in 1844.
Around the same time, the unique altarpiece, one of a kind in Estonia, was completed, probably by F. L. von Maydell. In 1866–1867, G. Knauff built a new organ with 8 stops. The organ is still in use.
The stone tower of the church was completed in 1906 and the classistic altar wall, brick floor, and candle holders have survived the years. The walls are decorated by the epitaphs of the landlords von Strykk and parish clerk Auster. Guests can visit the attic hall and tower.
The author of the church textiles is Reet Talimaa.

The church was built in the 1300s and is one of the oldest stone churches in Viljandi County. After the Livonian War, the church was in ruins for a long time. In the Northern War, the church also suffered from fires and was re-built with a wooden ceiling as late as 1767.
At the end of the 19th century, the building was decorated in pseudo-gothic style. The altar wall was built by J. G. Mühlenhausen.
The author of the altar painting (1887) is unknown.
The casing of the organ was built in 1804 by J. A. Stein and it survived the transformation of the organ by the Kriisa brothers in 1937. The wheel-cross by Anne Ratccsep (1598) is also located in the church.
Next to the altar is a marble memorial to General H. H. von Fersen.

The oldest horse breeding farm in Estonia, Tori started operating in 1856, still breeds Estonian and Tori horses. Here, you can get acquainted with the stable complex belonging to the beautiful manor ensemble of Tori and see the daily life of the farm.

For the 165th anniversary of the Tori Horse Breeding Farm, the stable complex was renovated and a museum was opened with the exhibition Tori attic (Tori pööning). The exhibition features hidden treasures, stories and legends, and paintings by local artist August Pulst. Come and find out what kind of animals once lived in Tori Hell cave and exactly how tall Hetman, the father of all Tori horses, stood.

Estonian natural stone, enhanced! Natural fieldstone can be used for many different products for construction, gardens or for home decoration. There is no residue, because we use all the small pieces of stone.
Participating in the workshop is an opportunity to learn about Estonian stones and minerals. Let's find out what exciting life lives on stones. Is the phrase 'hard as a rock' really true?
Stone instruments, necklaces or game blocks can be made by hand in the workshop; we will play with small stones and ask the big ones which of them is the king of rocks. We will make art out of stone and paint rocks.
Participants can take their own stone art with them as a keepsake.

Home Museum of the Kapp Family was established in 1971 as a branch of Viljandi Museum. The house was thoroughly reconstructed in 1973 and a memorial tablet to Villem Kapp was placed on the building's wall.
The museum is in a house built by Hans Kapp, member of one of the most well-known families of composers in Estonia. He left the house to his son Villem, who wrote the greater part of his music here.
The exhibition introduces the life and music of composers Joosep, Hans, Artur and Villem Kapp.

The home where composer Mart Saar (1882–1963) was raised is located in the village of Hüpassaare. Much of Saar’s work was created here, in the midst of bogs and forests. 
After his death it was transformed into a museum showcasing the life and work of one of Estonia’s most famous choral musicians.
Near the house you can enjoy inspiring nature in the Hüpassaare Nature Study Trail in Soomaa National Park.

Iida’s summer school on weaving has offered lessons since 2010. Come to our summer school and get the basic knowledge on weaving on handlooms. We will also teach you how to put together a handloom and give an overview of its parts. You will also learn two weaves and how to use them on the handlooms.
We also have different workshops for advanced participants (these depend on the person’s own interest and desire). The training lasts for four days and we also offer accommodation.

Suure-Kõpu manor operates as a school but is also open to visitors.
A two-storey stone building in Late Classicist style, it was completed in 1847. Its large central vestibule is characteristic of such a manor, as are its dining room with frescos of Pompeii and its ball room, which is adorned with faux-marble walls. The manor offers visitors a traditional Estonian experience involving local food and music. It also hosts fancy dress parties harking back to different periods of history.
The manor complex is open for group excursions, seminars, receptions, lunches and dinners, wedding receptions, birthday parties and private tours when booked in advance. Competitions and camps can be held in its sports building.
See also:;

Tori Museum in Pärnu County was founded as the first parish museum in Estonia by August Pulst in 1934. The first item exhibited was a beer stein, which is now depicted on the museum's logo. 
Tori Museum shares its building with the local community centre. A permanent exhibition is displayed on the walls of the lobby, introducing the history of Tori. Museum items are in the granary of the manor next to the Tori horse farm. You can look around the granary on your own for free!

Book a tour introducing the manor complex, church, cave, graveyard and granary for 10 euros per group of up to 10 people; for more than 10 people, the price is 1 €/person.

Tori Church, which was built in 1854, has a complicated past. The German Army burnt the church down in 1944 when retreating from the Red Army. Trees were already growing in the church hall when its restoration began in 1990.

The church was consecrated in 2001 as a memorial to all victims of the Second World War and is now known as the Estonian Soldiers Memorial Church.

The church is well loved by local people and also used as a concert venue. The church also performs several functions as a memorial church – it is the place where Estonian policemen and officers and sworn into office and where historical anniversaries of Estonia are celebrated.

Soomaa Turism MTÜ ühendab Soomaa turismipiirkonnas tegutsevaid ettevõtteid.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram